Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Gap Closes - Day Two

Up until today, I used to view the 7th graders as young and possibly unable to handle this endeavor. Today they proved me wrong. I set aside 15 minutes to allow them to share a google doc with me. The class unfolded as follows:


Me: Ok, kids, open up the computers, log in to Google Docs and take some time to figure out how to share a document with me. How many of you have used this program before?

Kid 1: I saw my brother use it one day.
Kid 2: Google what???
Kid 1: Nope, never done it.

Me: See if you can figure it out.

(insert the sound of talking and typing, laughing...)

45 seconds pass

Kid 3: I'm done
Kid 4: Me too
Kids 5-8: Yep, check. Done. Ditto, Mrs. Whizzle.

Me: Are you sure you've never done this before?



Technology bridges gaps for lots of people. Babies play with iPads. Heck, unbeknownst to me, my second grader went internet shopping and used my iphone to order a nerf capture the flag set via my amazon iPhone app. And all on the way back from a basketball game.

Without. my. knowing.

I'm pretty sure knowledge is no longer just a factor of age and grade level; it's a factor of curiosity and persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment