Friday, February 11, 2011

More Projects, Less Busy Work - Day 12

A word about projects: They have become my best friend.

I'm starting to see how just a little solid core instruction can go a long way with a good, well-designed project. For instance, I spent 15 minutes introducing symbols one day. On the next day, I spent another 15 minutes discussing allegory. The two topics go hand-in-hand, obviously; however, had I taught both of those topics in one 45 minute class period, my lovely "screenagers" would have started daydreaming about the "Never-Say-Never" Bieberfest that was happening tonight. Since I split the lesson into bite-sized chunks, I was able to hold their attention for the project I had been planning for a week.

These two 15-minute core instructions led to the coup de gras - that merciful deathblow that would save my kids from multiple choice and fill-in hell: "Stump The Chump" - An Allegory Project.

Step 1: Divide into productive groups (use information from prior projects to avoid repeat partners).
Step 2: Assign a modern allegory such as a Twilight Zone Episode or a Dr. Seuss book.
Step 3: Outline the three P's: Paragraph, Poster, Presentation
Step 4: Let them loose with the four C's: Critical thinking, Collaboration, Communication and Creativity

Bake for 45 miuntes.
Take out of the oven and let cool for a day.
Repeat Step 4 until baking is complete.

Enjoy this delicious recipe for as many days as is necessary for a thorough comparison and explanation of the modern allegory.

1 comment: