Monday, February 28, 2011

Post-Day 31 - Realizations and Reasons

So, my students and I were completely paperless (and still are) for 31+ days. That's a really long time to not have handouts or homework come in on paper, so I most definitely applaud my students (and myself) for trying something new, being pioneers, and really thinking about how to avoid using and wasting paper. That said, I've spent the last week or so ruminating over what I really want out of this project. I wanted to try something new; I wanted to avoid the copy machine, and I wanted to give my kids some problem-solving skills that they will most certainly come across in the years to come.

So now what?

I touted the fact that I shouldn't force students into learning my way, so with that said, I plan to let them choose the way they want their homework and notes. Paperless is now an option, not a requirement. I won't run things off, but I will provide every student with electronic copies. If he or she wants to make paper copies and turn them in, the option is there. It's always been there, really.

Now it will be fun to see who remains paperless... I've shown them how to do it; I wonder who will keep flying the flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment